Definitely, ask the court for a custody order. Until you file with the courts, you do not have custodial rights that you can enforce if he takes the baby. You should also file for a temporary custody order as soon as you file a custody complaint with the court. The court can usually give you a custody order within 30 days. This will fix the jurisdiction in Utah as long as you live here. It will also give you a legal basis to enforce custody. If he is threatening to take the child out of state you may want to ask for travel restrictions. If you click on the link “Custody Order” below, you will have tips on what to ask the court for.