What To Do If You Are A Witness To A Crime

Question From A Crime Witness

I’m a crime witness. I’ve been served with a subpoena and don’t know what to do.  Without going into detail I witnessed a crime and the court asked me to testify. I intend to appear as ordered by the subpoena but am concerned that I may not be the best witness. The incident happened several months ago and I’ve forgotten many details of what happened that day. I also to answer any questions as directly and honestly as possible. I am concerned however that I may inadvertently misrepresent the facts of that day do to the lack of memory. If that happens will the state hold me criminally liable? Do I need a lawyer?



You should contact the attorney who sent the subpoena. If he or she believes that your testimony is important, you should not worry about the deficiencies in your testimony. You are only being asked to give your best testimony. You should not need an attorney to do this. As long as you tell the truth, there will be no basis to take action against you. Perjury is for knowingly giving false testimony.


Steve Christensen

Steve has over twenty-five years of experience as a trial and appellate attorney, thus making him one of the most experienced attorneys in his field in the state. As an attorney, Steve quickly identifies legal issues and focuses his presentation on the strengths of his client’s cases, therefore resulting in his great success as an attorney.

He has handled over 80 trials and other evidentiary hearings before judges. He has settled hundreds of cases before, during, and after a trial. Steve takes pride in relating to his clients while conveying their cases convincingly to juries and judges.

Learn More About Steve

What To Do If You Are A Witness To A Crime