30 Years of Experience

Child Support

At Christensen Law, we understand the complexities and sensitivities surrounding child support matters in Utah. Child support is defined as the legal obligation for parents to provide financial support for their minor children, established through various legal proceedings such as divorce, legal separation, paternity, or other various family law cases. The Utah Office of Recovery Services (ORS) may also issue administrative orders outside of court.

Under Utah law, parents have a legal responsibility to support their minor child or children until they reach the age of 18 or until they complete high school, whichever comes later. Monthly base support is calculated based on the gross monthly income of both parents, considering the number of overnights the child or children spend in each respective household. Utah law further provides that parents share the cost of medical care, health insurance, and work-related childcare expenses. For more information or an estimate, clients can utilize the ORS Calculator.

If requesting child support, you will need to provide: (Utah Code § 78B-12-201)

  • Income verification
  • Written statement indicating whether the amount requested is consistent with Utah’s guidelines
  • Identification information
  • Additional documentation for the Utah Office of Recovery Services

When establishing support, proof of income is required, but if it is not available, it may be imputed by other varying factors depending on the specific case. The court will also consider the child custody arrangements.


If there has been a substantial change in circumstances, a modification may be requested. These circumstances may include changes in:

  • One or both parents’ wealth or assets
  • One or both parents’ income (if the change is at least 30%)
  • One or both parents’ employment potential
  • One or both parents’ legal responsibility to support others
  • Medical needs of the child or children
  • Child custody modification

If there has been no significant change in circumstance and you still wish to modify, it must have been at least three years since the initial order has been issued or previously modified and the difference between what was ordered and what would be ordered must be 10% or more.


Have questions about modifications, obligations, or other specific needs? Learn more from our Child Support FAQ. 


Rely on Christensen Law for your Child Support Needs 

Call Christensen Law today at (801) 303-8500 or fill out our online contact form to schedule an initial consultation. Here we will discuss the details our case and guide you towards your desired outcome. 

Schedule a Consultation

Call Tel:+1 801-303-5800