How To File For Divorce Without Spouses Info


How do I file for divorce if I do not know all of my spouses information? And, my spouse is uncooperative. We have been separated for years. And now that I am trying to file online I do not know all of his information. I need it in order to fill out the paperwork. I have tried asking my spouse for the information and he will not reply but I am not sure how to file without having the paperwork complete.


Generally, the court will allow you to file for divorce even if the information requested for the other party is not provided. I would put “unknown” or give an estimate (on such things as education) as to your spouse’s information or leave it blank. The most important information for your spouse will be the address for work or home so that you can serve the Divorce Petition.

If you do not have an address and he will not provide it, you can file a motion for permission to serve him electronically, as a text image or an email attachment. Once you get into the case, the court will likely order you to mediate. If you cannot afford an attorney, it would be worth your time to pay for an hour of advice. During this hour you can ask questions you have about your rights. You can also click on my blog link below “Mediation Tips” for information when you get to that point.


Steve Christensen

Steve has over twenty-five years of experience as a trial and appellate attorney, thus making him one of the most experienced attorneys in his field in the state. As an attorney, Steve quickly identifies legal issues and focuses his presentation on the strengths of his client’s cases, therefore resulting in his great success as an attorney.

He has handled over 80 trials and other evidentiary hearings before judges. He has settled hundreds of cases before, during, and after a trial. Steve takes pride in relating to his clients while conveying their cases convincingly to juries and judges.

Learn More About Steve

How To File For Divorce Without Spouses Info