How To Simply Modify A Divorce Decree


I have a question about a divorce decree Salt Lake City. Can a simple agreement modify a divorce decree / parenting plan if both parents agree in writing? Can a simple email exchange modify a divorce decree / parenting plan or do I need a paper written up with signatures from both parties to modify?



Parties can modify an agreement orally, by their actions or by a written exchange. If you want to enforce an agreement that was created in one of these ways, you should have good success. However, all of these kinds of agreements leave much open to interpretation. If there are specific items you want to enforce, you should set those out in a written agreement so that there is no ambiguity. If you want a guide for a proposed custody order click on my blog “Custody Order” below.


Steve Christensen

Steve has over twenty-five years of experience as a trial and appellate attorney, thus making him one of the most experienced attorneys in his field in the state. As an attorney, Steve quickly identifies legal issues and focuses his presentation on the strengths of his client’s cases, therefore resulting in his great success as an attorney.

He has handled over 80 trials and other evidentiary hearings before judges. He has settled hundreds of cases before, during, and after a trial. Steve takes pride in relating to his clients while conveying their cases convincingly to juries and judges.

Learn More About Steve

How To Simply Modify A Divorce Decree